Friday, June 22, 2012

Danie Dharma


Hello again everyone! It's been awhile...

Since the Singapore Nationals 2012 are creeping around the corner, what better way to build up to the event by having a sneak peak into the life of one of the competitors. He is well-known in the local bodybuilding circle and he has competed in numerous events and attaining numerous medals. He has been featured in news articles, television shows and interviews. He is none other than, Danie Dharma!


Profile
Name:  Danie Dharma
DOB:  25 July 1986
Marital status:   Married
Occupation:  Navy Regular
Height:  1.71m
Weight: _90kg_ (Off-season) _75kg_ (Contest)
Hometown:  Jurong West
Gym:  Jurong West Clubfitt
Team (if any): 
Achievements:   



2005
NUS Muscle War Tertiary below 70kg : 3rd
Inter ITE Bodybuilding Contest above 65kg : 1st
Pesta Sukan Lightweight Category: 2nd
Pesta Sukan Quadrangular (Singapore,Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand)  Lightweight Category:  4th

2006
Muscle Storm below 70kg: 1st
NUS Muscle War Open Category: 4th
CDANs Bodybuilding Contest Open Category: 3rd
Junior Nationals Lightweight category: 3rd

2007
CDANs Bodybuilding Contest Open Category: 3rd
Muscle Explosion Under 21 Category: 1st
Junior Nationals Welterweight and Above Category: 5th
Junior Nationals Classic 1.71m Category: 3rd

2009
NUS Muscle War Open Category: 3rd + Most Improved Bodybuilder
Muscle Explosion II Below 70kg Category: 1st
CDANs Bodybuilding Contest Open Category: 3rd

2010
NUS Muscle War Open Category: 1st
Nationals Lightweight Category: 2nd
Nationals Classic 1.71m Category: 2nd
SEA Championships Lightweight Category: 6th
World Athletic Physique Classic 1.71m: 5th
Muscle Explosion III Jr Above 70kg: 1st
Muscle Explosion III Classic 1.71m: 1st
Muscle Explosion III Open Category: 2nd



Interview with Danie Dharma

TRB:  How have you been Danie & welcome to The Reading Bodybuilder! Now I’ve known you way back since 2004, we’ve worked together as bouncers at events and all & I’ve seen you compete throughout the years. How about sharing with the readers here on your humble beginnings. 

Danie:
Thank you man! Yeah, have known you for such a long time, and it is truly an honour being your friend!

Well, I started off as a skinny guy. Weighed only 47kg back then, and was subject to all kinds of school bullying. I took up the sport to overcome school bullying, but that was not the only reason. Since childhood, I always wanted to be huge and muscular when I grew up due to watching too many Arnold movies. So it was a childhood dream of mine on top of a very good means to overcome school bullying!



When I started off, I did lots of reading about training and nutrition. It helped that I was an express student who had an interest in science. Managed to piece together a sensible training and diet plan, and the rest is history! One aspect I am proud of, pertaining to my beginner days is that I went through the journey all by myself. I had no trainers or training partners. Just library books, magazines and a whole lot of determination to transform!


TRB: Your achievements have made you a local icon especially in the Indian community. You were featured in a Vasantham TV show as a bodybuilding icon. What was your reaction when they first called you up for the show and has any members of the public approached you after that in the streets? 

Danie:
When they first called me up, I was excited about it, but at the same time, very nervous! You see, my Tamil is not very fluent, and I was afraid I would give people a bad impression about myself if I spoke poorly on TV.  The first time, it was only a few minutes segment, but it took hours to shoot as I had to keep repeating my lines! The second time was a whole episode! I managed to pull through as they allowed me to speak English for a good part of it. As for the public’s reaction, people did recognise me, and they did come up to me and tell me that they watched the episode, and that it was inspiring. Others expressed sympathy for what I went through during my bullying days. I felt glad that I got this opportunity to reach out to all out there that might be experiencing school bullying like I did. I hope I got the message across that they should do something about it.



TRB: Before I forget, let me congratulate you again on behalf of The Reading Bodybuilder on your marriage! You have been with Saras for so long and finally ya’ll have tied the knot. Share with us your fairy-tale love story.  

Danie:
Oh thank you very much!  Well, I met her through a mutual friend who had been trying to set us up.  I still remember the day I first met her, it was 12 November 2006. Soon after, that friend set us up again by asking both of us out and leaving halfway. We had our first really long hearty conversation that day and just clicked. I guess my friend knew all along that we were both meant to be. She was really sincere since the first day that I got to know her, and it has been 5 and a half years since!  She has brought so much happiness to my otherwise dull and empty life, and has been my pillar of strength all along!

 

TRB: I’m happy for you Danie! So will you be taking a break from competitive bodybuilding now and focus on building a family? 

Danie:
Well, I’ll definitely not compete as much as I have done before. If the situation allows, I’ll definitely compete! I hope I can win a gold on an international stage at least once in my life.



TRB: Well I’m sure when you have kids in future, they will be proud that their daddy is a bodybuilder. Would you want them to follow your footsteps as well to be a bodybuilder? 

Danie:
Oh, I will leave that decision to them. I have seen this on many occasions, where a child attends all kinds of classes to accomplish his parents’ dreams for them, and I think that isn’t fair to the child. I’ll let my child pursue what he wishes to do in life. If he decides to take up bodybuilding, that would be awesome though!



TRB: You’ve competed in both local and international competitions. Tell us which of the competition is the most memorable one for you?

Danie:
Thus far my most memorable contest was NUS Muscle War 2010. My body responded extremely well to my diet, and I got into the best condition of my competitive life thus far. It was also the first time I won an open category.



TRB: One thing I realised about you is that you are always calm and composed whenever you prepare for a contest. Don’t you feel nervous or worried that something might go wrong during your dieting phase?  

Danie:
Well, I find it pointless getting too stressed about it. We can’t control our competitors’ physiques, only our own. As long as we remain in utmost control of our diet and get into the best condition possible, there is nothing more one can do to ensure a win. It also helps that I have competed numerous times as I know how my body reacts to dieting.




TRB: I also notice that you seemed to be unfaltering by other bigger competitors whenever you compete in an open-category contest. How did you managed to be so poised and confident then?  

Danie:
I guess I’m just so focussed on flexing the correct muscles on stage that I do not think much about the opponents around me. It is definitely more important to flex correctly and look as good as possible for each pose. Otherwise, it would be a waste dieting for so many weeks and peaking on the day!



TRB: You’ve been long enough in this business. Share with us your opinions on the future of this sport in Singapore?

Danie:
Honestly, the future of Singapore Bodybuilding looks dull but there is hope. Dull because there seem to be full time bodybuilders in all the other countries except Singapore. They get paid to live their passion and dream, and are not tied down by the stresses of a full time job. Here, the bodybuilders have to work a full time job and fund their own bodybuilding expenses. For the bodybuilders like me who do not work in a gym, it would be a challenge to even head to the gym 3 times a week. It doesn’t help that expenses in Singapore are high and rising. 

The sports complex gyms, which are affordable, are reducing their weights, making it very hard for elite bodybuilders to train. Commercial gyms seem to be the only option but cost a bomb. It is like without a decent salary, one can kiss their bodybuilding dreams goodbye here.

The reason I say there is hope is due to this: Despite all of this working against the bodybuilders here, there is so much passion fuelling all these guys to continue training and competing! I believe one day, this passion will overcome the current obstacles, and perhaps one day we might have full time Singaporean bodybuilders instead of full time China table tennis players in Singapore!

TRB: So when will we be seeing you on-stage again?

Danie:
The 2012 National Championships!

TRB: Any shout-outs to your friends, family or loved ones? 

Danie:
Firstly, a big thanks to Fauzi for featuring me in this blog. I think this blog is a really good effort to give more people an insight into the local bodybuilders’ lives. Thanks for the efforts and this contribution to the bodybuilding scene!

A shout out to all the local bodybuilders, keep up the good work and keep that passion burning!
Last but not least, to wifey Saras for being so supportive of my bodybuilding all these years. Thank you!  





Thank you Danie for your time here at The Reading Bodybuilder! I'm sure some of your tips here would be useful for those who are new to competition and will be taking part in the upcoming Nationals 2012. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours and we look forward to your best contest shape at the Nationals 2012! 

Best wishes,

Zee (22.06.2012)

1 comment:

  1. Very Nice Post. I really like it. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I would like to share with my friends. For more information visit here Patricio Romano

    ReplyDelete