Thursday, March 29, 2012

Andrew Lim


Welcome fellow readers to another ‘episode’ of The Reading Bodybuilder. Today, we have one of Singapore’s promising young bodybuilder who has already made an impact at his last contest. He has bounced back from last year’s bronze to display an impressive physique to bag the gold medal for MuscleWar 2012’s Tertiary below 170cm category. Let’s put our hands together and welcome Andrew Lim!  



Profile 

Name: Andrew Lim        
DOB: 30/01/1988
Marital status: Single
Occupation: Student
Height: 170cm
Weight: ~ 85 (Off-season) ~75 (Contest)
Hometown: Yio Chu Kang!
Gym: Yio Chu Kang Clubfitt
Team (if any): Team Superballs
Achievements: Musclewar 2011 – Tertiary Below 170cm – Third
                             Musclewar 2012 – Tertiary Below 170cm - Champion


Interview with Andrew Lim

TRB:  Firstly, I would like to thank you for spending some time for this interview despite your hectic schedule. Without wasting anymore time, let’s start out with our first question. At what age and year did you start training?

Andrew: I first started training when I was in first year of Junior college, so I was 17 years old then? But I only started training more seriously in my second year, once I got my diet and training planned out. That was the year I went beyond the ‘beach muscle’ exercises, like endless curls and bench. Haha. 

TRB: How was life like for you before you started training?

Andrew: Haha. It’s funny that you are asking this, because after so many years of training, I have very vague recollection of how I spent my time before I started bodybuilding! I guess I was a average kid then. I started off with a pretty good foundation though. I was in National Cadet Corp (NCC) in secondary school, so we are always engaging in physical activities like push ups, pull ups and running. Physical exercise aside, It was just hanging out with friends doing stupid things. Oh yes! I was in a band too, playing the guitar. Music still play a very big part in my life today, although I seldom touch my guitar already.

TRB: So, what motivated you to become a bodybuilder and why did you decide to turn competitive? 

Andrew: I only started going to the gym when my friends asked me to join them. Before that, I always thought gym was unnecessary, and doing tons of push ups was enough for a decent physique. Slowly, my friends stopped coming, and I just continued training once or twice a week, I don’t know why I did but I enjoyed the process. The intitial goal was to have a impressive physique, but I think, over time, the motivation changed. Now, I continue to be motivated by the discipline of bodybuilding. The routine, and the sacrifices. Because it takes so much out of you, it makes the whole process really meaningful and worth pursuing. I’ve never been engage in an activity that I can be so overwhelming passionate about that it consumes your every single action and thoughts. 



I contemplated about competing after four years of training. The hopeless obsession with consuming enough calories, endless repetition of heavy weights in the gym, I just thought I should translate all those into an achievement. Once I signed up for my first competition, dieting and training took on a whole new meaning. Every rep of squats, every step on the treadmill now meant something – hope that I can at least outdo other competitors in terms of work ethics. And all the sacrifices that my loved ones have to take to accommodate me, fuelled my workouts.

TRB: On behalf of The Reading Bodybuilder, I would like to congratulate you again for winning the below 1.7m category in Muscle War 2012! This year you came in with unbelievable muscle quality; you were bigger and much denser! How long did you prepare for it and what was your game plan for MW2012?   

Andrew: Thank you, and I am really thankful for the title as well. I started my diet much earlier this time round, for 16 weeks. I do not stay lean all year round, and I because I love eating so much, I tend to bulk up more than I should. So I thought I should be more prudent, and took a longer time to diet. I did a ketogenic diet throughout, because I like the science behind it. And my meals for the weekdays pretty much stayed the same throughout. Steak, eggs, and salmon. 



I don’t believe in backing down on training intensity as the competition date draws nearer. And personally, I enjoy lifting heavy as well. So I pretty much trained each muscle group (except for arms), twice a week. One would emphasize on power, and lifting heavy poundages on compound lifts. The other day would be more of a traditional bodybuilding type of training, higher rep range with shorter intervals for rest. I think I was able to come in with improvements because I continued lifting heavy, and I was more in sync-ed with how different food, especially meat interacted with my body.

 
TRB: You’ve been spotted as one of the promising bodybuilders this year. Will we be seeing you again on-stage anytime soon?  

Andrew: I am not aware of that. But, that I’m honoured to know that people think I have a chance at something. Yes, I plan to take a good year off, and see if I can get bigger before stepping on stage for the Nationals in 2013.



TRB: You are currently studying in Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and I know the amount of assignments and projects that you have to complete. How do you balance your training with school work especially during your contest-preparation phase? 

Andrew: Yes, school has always been tedious. But like many of the people I’ve spoken to in the gym, I think it would get worse once I start having a full time job after graduation, so I am really thankful I can still manage to squeeze in training, as well as work despite school work. Unfortunately, I fall into the category of people who always complain about having too much work, and having no time to train. I know for a fact that it all boils down to time management, and that is definitely something I need to work on. 

I don’t remember where I read this from, but it was one of the interviews conducted on one of the Mr Olympia contestants. And I agree with what he said. An impressive bodybuilder is not one who misinterpret between reckless abandonment and passion. Bodybuilders should work with the limits they have, and not try to push off responsibilities. A bodybuilder is first a son, a father, a husband, before he is a bodybuilder. So, I respect bodybuilders who are able to balance their life with their loved ones, before they devote every ounce of energy left in the gym. Sorry, I went off tangent for a bit, it’s just something I always think about.
Anyway, school actually becomes easier during contest prep, since all my food are prepared already, and I don’t have to eat as frequently as when I am bulking. I also tend to train a little faster during contest prep since my energy level is limited, so gym work don’t take up as much time.

TRB: Now, tell us what are your other hobbies asides from training at the gym?

Andrew: Haha. It sounds a little sad, but I am a creature of habit. You can either find me at home, in school, at work (which is also in the gym) and in the gym working out. Currently, all my free time are occupied by school work. Except for Sunday where I spend the majority of my time in church. Other than that, I give all my time to my girlfriend! 



TRB: What are your aspirations as an individual and also a bodybuilder?

Andrew: personally, I cant wait to start a family with my girl whom I have together for so long.  I just hope to make a good husband and father, and be able to provide for my family like how my parents are able to provide for me. Bodybuilding wise, I hope to compete in the US, in one of the state competitions. I understand that NPC is only open for US citizens, but you can still compete in a state competition. And of course, to visit Las Vegas for one Olympia!

TRB: Are there any local bodybuilders who have inspired and motivated you along the way?

Andrew: Honestly, I am very new to the scene, so I am not very familiar with most of the local bodybuilders. Ironically, it’s the kids in the gym that motivates me. It always warm my heart when I see kids doing the right exercises in the gym (deadlift, squats etc), and taking their exercises seriously.

TRB: Any shout-outs to your friends, family or loved ones? 

Andrew: I want to shout out to my girlfriend of eight years, Sheryl. She was there when I first started, and have been there every step of the way. Although its something that she has no interests in, she still makes the effort to understand and accommodate the huge amount of time I spend in the gym. I am really thankful, and knowing she is backstage waiting for me, my placing seem to matter a lot lesser. 



I want to give a shout out to “Team Superballs”. It’s an informal group with a few friends with the same strange desire for pain. Haha. We always come together on Sundays to train legs. We also get together to discuss about training, supplementation and diet. They are just really great guys. So a shout out to Turner, Matthew, Lutfi and Bryan (yep, he’s the first runner up in the above 170cm cat)!

Of course, to my family who has been there for all my shows, and have never questioned my passion. And of course, my pretty expensive grocery list!

To you, of course. For taking the time to create this blog. The scene here is small, and not as united as the ones in US, so we really should have each other’s back to make this into something that is worth’s people’s attention!


Wow what an inspirational story we have here by Andrew Lim!  We at The Reading Bodybuilder would like to thank you for providing us with such an insightful interview. All the best with school & we look forward to seeing you onstage again next year! 

Best wishes,

Zee (29.3.2012)

2 comments:

  1. Due to this scarcity mixed with the geriatric inhabitants improve, the medical group has to discover a means to offer well timed, correct info to those that want it in a uniform vogue. Think about if flight controllers spoke the native language of their nation as an alternative of the present worldwide flight language, English. Please make sure to click here to learn more about this topic. Natural way to prevent hair loss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working out is one of the best ways to enhance your performance and get more from your workout routine. it makes you stronger, faster, and great looking. Here is how you can do best indoor cardio workouts build muscle fast!

    ReplyDelete